Battleships and Battlecruisers
In 1947, the USSR took the battleship "Giulio Cesare" from the booty of the Italian fleet and, under the name "Novorossiysk", included it in the Black Sea Fleet based in Sevastopol. There, also on the evening of October 28, 1955, the ship docked after a one-day artillery exercise. Since Captain Kuchta was on vacation, the anchor maneuver was led by his deputy, Lieutenant Commander Khurshudov. He did not have the ship in his hand, he misjudged its length and the time the anchor was lowered. As a result, the "Novorossiysk", the bow of which held the anchor, lay much closer to the stern of the mooring buoy than usual. However, Churshudov agreed with the technical staff of the base that the position of the battleship will be corrected in the morning.